All You Ever Need to know about
Can be learned in a West Coast Swing Class:
By Skippy Blair © 3/95 Update 1/96 and 4/03
1. Lead her GENTLY and she'll follow you anywhere.
2. Never CRITICIZE a Partner. The only person you can FIX is YOU. (The person responsible for making an ADJUSTMENT, is the one who knows an adjustment needs to be made.)
3. A Lead is an INDICATION of direction (a suggestion-never a COMMAND).
4. A DANCE PARTNERSHIP is 50/50. BOTH partners are equally responsible for the outcome of the partnership.
5. If a partner insists on deciding which one is right & which one is wrong, they BOTH lose.
6. FIRST Rule in learning something new: Don't Hurt Anybody.
7. The only thing one should ever tell a dance partner is "You are WONDERFUL."
8. Concentration should be on WHAT is right rather than WHO is right.
9. TEAMWORK gets the points. We are frequently judged by how good we make our partners look (and feel).
10. A good Partnership requires patience, understanding, and a sincere desire to care about the needs of the other partner.
11. The way to help a partner improve, is to do YOUR part so well that you know you are not part of the PROBLEM.
12. Life is a JOY when we're both in step to the same BEAT.
13. Praise works wonders. Applaud little accomplishments and bigger
ones will follow.
14. We frequently judge others, not by who they are, but by who WE are when we are with them. Make your partner feel wonderful.
15. Every dance is a "Three minute relationship." If someone can't complete a "3 minute" dance without criticizing a partner, it is highly probable that when the music stops - the criticism won't !
16. A successful "Partnership" maintains the separate uniqueness of each individual. They maintain their connection, and are still able to create an exciting new entity, that actually IS the partnership.